Here are some things you can do to help us save the lives of youth and young adults from suicide:
- Be a spokesperson for youth suicide prevention - help to spread the message that suicide prevention works and lives can be saved. Visit the National Center for the Prevention of Youth Suicide web pages at http://www.suicidology.org/ncpys to learn more about youth suicide prevention.
- Learn the warning signs of suicide and what to do if a friend is suicidal.
- Get involved -- Contact us so that we can keep you up to date and ask for your ideas and support. Consider joining the National Center's Youth Advisory Board.
If you want to do more:
- Learn more about and advocate for health, mental health, and suicide prevention services.
- Reduce inappropriate access to drugs, firearms, and alcohol.
- Support life skills training, such as coping with stress, conflict resolution, anger management, and communication.
- Champion strong crisis services.
- Advocate for school policies and programs to prevent violence.
- Get training in suicide prevention
Early detection, effective health services, outreach to vulnerable youth, earlier prevention, and support for suicide prevention all contribute to lives saved!